Wednesday, February 16, 2011

dear crossfit lady,

i'm sorry i don't remember your name. we completed a WOD (workout of the day) together at crossfit zone few weeks ago now and i wanted to tell you what you showed me. i should have told you then, and maybe i still will if i see you again, but for now, i will write you a letter you may never read.


first of all, you volunteered to use a heavier weight during our wall ball exercises just so that i could use the lighter weight (more appropriate for me). thank you for that. it was kind and somewhat courageous of you and i likely wouldn't have survived otherwise.


it was during the pull ups, however, that you really caught my attention. we were required to perform 10 pull ups in a set and you did not use an assistance band. you did each and every one on your own strength and they were difficult for you...no, not difficult...excruciating. you screamed. cried. and fell off the bar after every one on your last set, only to get back up and do your next excruciating pull up. i couldn't stop watching you. i had used the assistance band (because i can't actually do a pull up, like you) and i had finished my workout as well as everyone else in the session. you were the only one left and one by one you completed your pull ups.


i could not take my eyes off you. i was stunned that you didn't give up, slow down, or use the assistance band. i felt tired after my workout but as i watched you i couldn't ignore the realization that i had pushed myself to 90% of my max....maybe 95%. but there was no doubt in my mind you were pushing yourself to 100%. and this wasn't even a competition. this was just your regular workout!
that was the amazing part. it wasn't just what you were physically able to do. i can't change the fact that right now i can't do a pull up and you can, but i can change how much i push myself. i don't allow myself to open up as much as you did; to feel that struggle, that pain, that vulnerability in front of others. you showed me that this was possible, neccisary even, in order to find our boundaries, push our limits, and grow into better people, not just physically, but mentally.
so thank you for allowing me to witness your struggle and your amazing strength. thank you for showing me how i can use these workouts to push myself and break down my barriers...and maybe even grow as a person because of it.

i hope to see you at a future WOD and i will do my absolute best to work through the struggle to get to my 100 percent.

Sincerely, c

No comments:

Post a Comment