Monday, April 25, 2011

day 5-11: my running partner

"come on, you can do this! you came out here for only one reason, to run, now keep going!"

sometimes there are people who know how to get inside your head and know how to motivate you. my brother is one of those people for me. this makes him an excellent running partner. my brother is very athletic and i think i've always felt like i was competing against him in the realm of physical ability...and of course, i couldn't match him. maybe because he is my younger brother (or maybe because i am actually more competitive than i ever admit?!) this frustrates me to no end! but it also motivates me and challenges me to keep pushing to achieve more, especially when i'm running with him. my brother is also very encouraging and somehow uses the right mix of coaxing and pushing, support and motivation, to bring out the best athlete within me.

our evening run around elk and beaver lake proved this again. near the finish of this simple and serene 10k loop, we started pushing it and i finished the run feeling exhausted, but empowered! when i run alone i don't always maximize my effort and the result is often a satisfactory, not exhilarating, run.

i suggest you should look for that workout partner. it may be a family member, a friend, or a coach (like at BDHQ, Crossfit zone, or a local running club). see how they influence your state of mind and your performance and maybe incorporate those partner workouts on a more regular basis. that person might be able to help you get over that boredom, that training plateau, or just help you make it up the next hill to the finish line.



11.04.11: day 5
strength training: upper body

12.04.11: day 6
ran elk and beaver lake with an excellent training partner, my brother! time: 1:06:00

13.04.11: day 7
strength training: upper body

14.04.11: day 8
strength training: lower body

15.04.11: day 9
30 min walk along the waterfront

16.04.11: day 10
45 min walk around neighbourhood

17.04.11: day 11
30 min walk


'these are my wings. they make me go faster.'


1 comment: