Tuesday, May 10, 2011

a lesson learned.

so...i don't really know how to say this, but i didn't succeed on my 100 day challenge, round two.

i went to vancouver and got involved in some family stuff (excuses, excuses) and before i knew it there were two days during the week where i did not complete my MOVEment. i was a little surprised at myself. after all...this is my project, isn't it? if i couldn't complete the challenge again, am i still a capable leader? i like to think i am and even in this small failure (dare i use that loaded word?) there is a learning experience.

i talk a lot about goal setting and this experience proves an important aspect of setting goals. when i decided to complete the MOVEment X 100 days  challenge for the second time, i have to admit my heart wasn't completely in it. i was doing it partly because a friend asked if i wanted to and not because it was my goal at that moment. also, because i had done it before, i did not give the challenge enough thought or respect. i thought it would be easy the second time. but clearly, it wasn't. 100 days is a long time and as i proved, in order to accomplish a challenge (or goal) of that length and magnitude, one must be completely committed and the goal must be important to them. i'm not saying the goal wasn't important to me, but it wasn't my priority, like it was the first time. so, as with any goal, make it and truly claim it as your own. put your heart in to it, believe in it, gain support, and achieve it. for you.

so there you have it. lesson learned. i do have some other goals and challenges i am excited about, however.

the first of these is a new iyengar yoga practice. i am completing an intensive beginners course that runs four days a week for 1.5 hours a day, until june 1st. my goals for this include learning some of the sanskrit terms, increasing my flexibility, and increasing my knowledge and appreciation for the physical and spiritual side of yoga. i have dabbled in yoga for a few years now but this will be the longest i will have ever committed to a practice like this. i am looking forward to what this practice can add to my life and how it will complement my other activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment