Tuesday, June 18, 2013

MY PHOTO WITH SIMON

This blog was originally posted on March 28th, 2013 on the Frontrunners Nanaimo blog, but I really wanted to share it with you here. Enjoy.

***

Word spreads quickly in Nanaimo, so as most of you probably know by now, Simon Whitfield came by the store a few weeks ago. I say this casually, because….it was that way. This was not a speaking engagement in an auditorium with hundreds of people. This was not a celebration, or ceremony, or cutting of ribbons or any such thing. This was, quite simply, like sitting down for a chat with an old friend. One who has competed in four Olympic Games and carried the Canadian flag for the opening ceremony in London….but that is beside the point, really.

It has taken me a long time to write this post because I didn’t know how I wanted to approach it. I have always been a recreational athlete, not a competitive one. I often joke at the shop that I am the least competitive employee there. And I am not a triathlete. I run when I feel like it, I can’t to a proper front crawl, and I can barely ride a bike. That’s the truth. So my admiration for this triathlete comes from a different place than many people would expect. It is easy enough to google ’Simon Whitfield’ and browse a long list of impressive race titles or biography facts, and maybe I should write about those….but I wanted to write a different kind of article. I wanted to write about the Simon I met.

 
The parking spaces were blocked off in front of Frontrunners Nanaimo and the lights and backdrop from Concept Photography flanked the entrance to the store. Outside, the small crowd was growing and energy hummed through it. It was contagious. Simon stood in front of the backdrop for at least 30 minutes, taking the time to talk to, shake hands with, and pose with every single person who wanted their photo with him. Each interaction involved him asking “what are you training for right now” or “what goal are you working towards?” He asked me the same question and I responded with ramblings about my CrossFit training. “Really?!” He was genuinely interested in everyone’s goals and accomplishments. He signed my name on a postcard and we smiled for our photo. I hugged him.


Inside was question and answer time and I expected to learn a little something about triathlons….but I found myself learning a little more about life. Simon talked about the early pressure to compete, his training, and reminisced about the time spent swimming and running with Stefan and Norm. Simon was composed and relaxed, answering questions and telling stories like we were all just sitting in someone’s living room. When asked about winning, Simon replied “a lot of people are afraid of putting it all out there. You have to give it 100%. A race is your chance to express yourself and express all the hard work it took to get you to this point. It takes courage to win”. In my mind, this couldn’t be more applicable to life. You only have one shot to express yourself. Give it 100%. Life takes courage.

When asked about his unfortunate crash in the London Olympics, he revealed his refreshing take on goals. “To get to the start line fully prepared. That was my goal and I did that. Regardless of the crash, I had already achieved my goal. I’m not saying I wasn’t disappointed or I didn’t wish things had have turned out differently….but it’s really more about achieving the goal you set out for yourself than it is about winning something.”


He then spoke directly to the young athletes in the Frontrunners – New Balance Elite Distance Project and what he shared with them will also stay with me for a long time. He reminded them to always keep the joy and adventure in sport. “Remember to play. My parents never asked me did you win? Instead, they asked me did you give a great effort? That is more important. Also, learn how to fail and what failure means. Learn how to deal with set backs and use them as your motivation. Learn how to stay committed, but most of all, keep the joy in your sport”.

Simon actually ‘walks the talk’ and strives to help others keep the joy in sport as well. One way he does this is through his commitment to KidSport, a not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and sports equipment to kids aged 18 and under. Their mission statement reads:

We believe that no kid should be left on the sidelines and all should be given the opportunity to experience the positive benefits of organized sports. KidSport provides support to children in order to remove financial barriers that prevent them from playing organized sport.

In fact, Simon donated the entire evening, totalling approximately $2,500, (photos by donation and silent auction proceeds) all to KidSport! More information about KidSport can be found here.

So, what I really love about Simon is that his passion, his ‘joy for the sport’, goes right down to the grass roots level. As elite an athlete as he is, he has the time for those new to the sport, those who might never compete, and those who are more of the recreational runner/CrossFitter type. In my opinion, being an elite athlete comes with the even bigger glory and responsibility of being a role model and Simon is definitely up for that task.

So, do I want to be a triathlete now?

No….I don’t think so, but I left that evening feeling more compelled to give it 100%, regardless of the activity. Compelled to put my self out there more, learn from any failures I may have and keep finding joy in whatever I’m doing. I left knowing I wanted to live my life with a little more courage.

I think I’ll go for a run tomorrow.

 
On behalf of myself, Frontrunners Nanaimo and everyone who attended our special evening, I want to thank you, Simon for sharing your time, your insights and that genuine smile with us all.
 
Sincerely,
Christine
feel your heart beat
 
Check out the article in the Nanaimo Daily News here:
http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/sports/story.html?id=ec9b89ee-6bb5-4121-adff-58f5c767bc5e&p=2&p=1

No comments:

Post a Comment