Wednesday, August 4, 2010

days 10-16: crossfit

04.08.10: day 16

today i attempted my first crossfit workout and i was impressed!

the facility was basic with a 'lets get down to business' attitude that reminded me why i was there: to work hard. my favorite part about the facility was the rubber floor where i was encouraged to chart my workout progress in coloured sidewalk chalk! it was actually incredibly motivating to see what i had done during the workout and compare my numbers to others as well.

the movements in the workout were simple full body movements with olympic style lifts and minimal equipment. i started with a dynamic full body warm-up, encompassing sit-ups, squats, push-ups, assisted tri-dips, assisted pull-ups, and lunges before our small morning group began the workout together. the entire workout took only 9.5 minutes and i must say it was the hardest 9.5 minute workout i have ever done. i alternated between 30 seconds of 'thrusts' (think squats and shoulder press type lift), 30 sec rest, 30 sec burpees (think push-ups and jumps together), 30 sec rest, and repeat for five sets! i impressed myself, not because of the weight or numbers i was able to do (neither weight or numbers were very impressive :) ) but because i was able to remain consistent throughout the workout. i pushed myself and this explosive style training is not something my body is used to.

my instructor/ coach/ trainer was amazing. she took me through the entire warm up and all the exercises. she encouraged me, pushed me, and made me feel welcome in the seemingly tight-knit crossfit group. thanks so much deanna. you have inspired me to incorporate some new exercises into my workouts. i will definitely return.

check the crossfit community at:
http://crossfitzone.ca/



03.08.10: day 15
walk the waterfront in the late afternoon sun.

02.08.10: day 14
run waterfront. it was hotter than i anticipated.

01.08.10: day 13
walking

31.07.10: day 12
jog from johnson st. bridge to west bay esquimalt and back.
i felt like i was running faster than usual. the skinner path encouraged me to sprint, the hills were interesting, and the view was a welcome change from my usual route.

30.07.10: day 11
jog to willows beach.
rest, read, suntan.
actually used my running as transportation today. i packed my mini trail pack with a book, water, and food.

29.07.10: day 10
walk

No comments:

Post a Comment