Monday, November 29, 2010

27.11.10: gunner shaw: race day

Strength: The quality or state of being strong; ability to do or to bear; capacity for exertion or endurance, whether physical, intellectual, or moral; force; vigor; power; a, strength of body or of the arm; strength of mind, of memory, or of judgement.

i wrote the letters on my arm in permanent black ink. i asked for the strength to keep running. i asked for the strength to push through when i wanted to stop. the strength to run fast, to give it my best effort, and to greet my family and friends with a smile no matter what the outcome.

race day.

was i ready? it didn't matter now. i woke up feeling nervous, but something else too...giddy? excited? after all this time, i was finally looking forward to this race! the weather was stunning: beautiful sunshine and warmer than i had expected. i ate a breakfast of oatmeal, fruit, and water and packed an after race care bag, complete with a towel, food, and a spare set of clothes.

there were 398 people at the starting line making it the largest mass start they had ever seen at the gunner shaw. my race partner, SB, and i started slow as we shuffled between the other racers, everyone jostling for their position. I pushed myself right from the beginning. i knew this was going to be tough for me and i wanted to hold nothing back so i locked my eyes onto the person ahead of me and chased them down the trail.

the course was amazing! it was every bit as slippery, icy, hilly, and beautiful as people said it would be. the route was changed slightly to divert racers around the swamp instead of through it, on account of the ice this year. but i was ok with that!! the race marshal told us there was three inches of ice on the swamp and if we race through it the ice would cut our shins.

every time i wanted to stop i would look at the word strength written on my arm and think of why i was here. this was a strategy borrowed from JU, my good friend and competitive ultra racer. as part of her race prep routine she often finds an inspirational quote and writes it on her arm so when the body wants to stop, the mind can find inspiration and push through. i have to say, it is a beautifully simple and extremely effective strategy. it made me think of my goals for this race, think of who i was running for, and it brought me all the way back to the purpose of MOVEment. i wanted to inspire others. i wanted to show people what it meant to take control of your health and fitness and challenge yourself. i wanted to show anyone who would watch me, 'look! if i can do this, you can too'! wearing my MOVEment t-shirt also reminded me that i was part of a team. this team consists of everyone who supports MOVEment and who strives to live an active lifestyle.



completing the race was thrilling! i ran out of the trees, into the lake, and across the finish line to my waiting family and friends. my time was 01:01:01 which placed me 308 out of 398 racers. what amazed me was that i shaved off nearly 10minutes from my most recent 10km training runs and this was by far, the hardest terrain i have ever run on! that is a great personal record for me!

i can't thank enough the people who supported me and came to watch me race. and my race partner, i don't know if i could have done it without you! the support means so much to me.

my 'runners high' lasted well over five hours that day...and when i think about it, i still can't wipe the silly grin off my face!

so would i do it again?

you bet! SB and i were already talking about the race next year. and i will look for other races too. this showed me that i am capable of entering the trail running world, capable of achieving a goal, and pushing myself through something that scared me a little.


that evening in the shower, i scrubbed at the black letters on my arm but strength refused to wash away. and i was just fine with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment