Sunday, September 5, 2010

day 48: vacation aftermath

05.09.10: day 48


even though i have not blogged recently, i can proudly say i have still been moving everyday. these last 3 weeks i have been involved in 3 weddings with 2 of them taking place in prince edward island. so needless to say it has been a busy month.



i discovered several challenges to being active while on vacation. one of these challenges centered around time. there was at least one day in the last few weeks where i was so busy helping the wedding party run errands around town that my movement consisted of exactly that: walking around town, running errands. on those days i didn't feel particularly thrilled about my style of exercise but i had to remind myself that for today, this was all i could do and it was good enough. i also had to remind myself about my priorities. there were days that i knew i would be busy so in order to get my movement in, i woke up extra early and went for a run. keeping my movement as a true priority for my day allowed me to structure my time to allow for exercise.



another challenge was feeling feeling a little isolated at times. while staying out in the countryside of pei, i was at a loss of what exercise i could do. i wonderful cure for this was enlisting the help of the family members i was staying with. i consider my father to be a role model of active living and i was so grateful for his encouraging spirit these last few weeks. in the evening we would plan out our movement for the next day and set up 'fitness dates'. using a workout partner has tremendous benefits, both psychological and physical. i found that i was more excited and positive about my workouts when i knew my father was going to be with me. we challenged each other to run farther and faster and taught each other new body weight exercises using the equipment we found in near by parks or even our backyard (picnic tables, tiny benches, bleachers). i was also grateful for the enthusiasm of my brother and my pei cousins. together, we swam in the atlantic and played games of beach volleyball and horseshoes, which are things i may not have done on my own. i plan to continue to ask for the support of others when i need help with my own fitness and develop more workout relationships with people around me in victoria.





i thoroughly enjoyed my time on the east coast of canada but i am thankful to be home and looking forward to getting back into a more strict fitness routine. i am also going to look for more ways to try activities i have not tried before. part of the point of this challenge is to try and push my boundaries, just a little, and discover that movement can include a wider variety of activities than i originally thought.



with new inspiration i continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment